Useful addresses for Seamstresse
Hello my little seamstresses!
Since the start of Make My Lemonade, many of you have asked where to buy sewing supplies and find good fabric. We thought it would be a good idea to give you some nice addresses (or at least useful ones) some on-line, and some in Paris… So, here are the places we like to go to get our stuff.
Haberdasheries (shops with sewing supplies) :
- Fil 2000: 65 rue Réaumur, 75002 Paris, 01 42 36 48 80. Open Monday through Friday 9 am to 6:30 pm, Saturday 9 am to 1 pm.
Ali Baba’s real cave, here you will find mostly little sewing accessories: eyelets, zippers,bias, grosgrain, thread, simple buttons, but also hessian fabric for patterns, rulers, needles, pins, presser feet, etc… The prices often beat the competition, so arm yourself withpatience when you enter this boutique that’s a big as a handkerchief!
- Hamon : 54 rue de Cléry, 75002 Paris, 01 42 33 27 59. Open Monday-Thursday 9 am to 6 pm, Friday 9 am to 4:15 pm.
Like Fil 2000, this boutique has a lot of variety of choice but also offers a service of scissor sharpening that can be handy. You can also order a mannequin there or specialized books, as well as certain more professional accessories.
- Moline Mercerie : 2,4,6 rue Livingstone, 75018 Paris, 09 64 18 15 14. Open Monday 10am-7pm, Tuesday-Saturday 9:45am-7pm.
A bit more expensive than the previous two, this haberdashery offers a wide selection,including small scraps of Liberty fabric for those who love quilting and patchwork, tulle and some fabric by the meter, and very lovely buttons. Sewing workshops are organized for beginners, you can register on-line. Across the street you’ll find Moline fabrics, you can also buy fabric there by the meter.
- Mercerie Saint-Pierre : 6 rue Charles Nodier, 75018 Paris, 01 42 64 10 86. Open Monday 1:30-6:30 pm, Tuesday-Saturday 10am-6:30pm.
If you purchase something at the Marché St Pierre and you’re missing a button, you can always go there. Don’t forget that there’s also a basement!
- Ruban de Paris : 172, rue Saint-Denis, 75002 Paris, 01 42 36 62 82. Open Monday-Friday 9:30am-6:30pm.
- MSM Ozel France : 73 rue Réaumur, 75002 Paris, 01 40 28 90 92. Open Monday-Friday10am-6:30pm.
On the internet:
- Sacrés-Coupons : 4 rue d'Orsel, 75018 Paris, 01 42 64 69 96. Open Monday-Saturday 9:30 am-7 pm.
If you come to the blog often, you know that this boutique is kind of our favorite one for fabric scraps. There are new arrivals regularly, make wise choices, you will inevitably leave with 3 meters of fabric tucked under your arm. On top of it, an e-commerce will soon be opening!
- Marché Saint-Pierre Dreyfus: 2 rue Charles Nodier, 75018 Paris, 01 46 06 92 25. Open
Monday-Friday 10am-6:30pm, Saturday 10am-7pm. The great institution of the neighborhood of Saint Pierre, with a multi-level boutique. Be careful to avoid rush hours, it’s can be as packed as the metro!
- Coupons Saint-Pierre: 1 Place Saint-Pierre, 75018 Paris, 01 42 52 10 79. Open 9:30am-7pm.
There you can find scraps up to max 3 meters, but take your time sorting through everything!
- Tissu Market : 18 rue du Sentier, 75002 Paris, 01 42 21 47 53. Open Monday-Friday 10am-1pm, and in the afternoon 2-6 pm.
Here you can find fabric not often found elsewhere (certain silks, neoprene, etc…).
On the internet:
- Pretty ribbons and lace at Mokuba: 18 rue Montmartre, 75001 Paris, 01 40 13 81 41. Open Monday-Friday 9:30am-6:30pm.
- For students or professionals who are looking for fabric or customized finishing touches (zippers for example) Socolatex: 12 Rue du Bourg l'Abbé, 75003 Paris, 01 48 04 97 37.
- For raw materials to dye and a large selection of dyes and tools, go to Shop Text Ponsard : 7 boulevard du Temple, 75003 Paris, 01 42 72 56 40. Open Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm.
Translated by Ida Driscoll